Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Oh My God... (Originally Written June 25, 2006)

Oh My God…
June 25, 2006

How many times a day do you hear the name of God said? During school my students would say that name a lot: “Oh my God.” “God you expect me to do all this.” “God!” “What in God’s name are you smoking?” and many other phrases are said by my students. When I hear those phrases, sometimes, I have to laugh. I probably laugh my hardest when I hear an atheist say those phrases.


Think about this—every time the name “God” is used it is an extreme emotion, thought, or something huge. God, as the bible defines Him, is beyond our ability to comprehend. God has three distinct parts: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, distinct not separate. God is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent; all knowing, all powerful, and all present. Often we try to define God through human abilities and thought, “because we were created in His image.” I find it funny that we twist the term image to mean same instead of likeness.

I could put on some football pads and a helmet and look like a football player, but that does not make me one. I could also grab a guitar and wear punk style clothes, and fix my hair up, but that does not make me a punk star. We usually call those people who dress like someone else posers. Posers are not the real deal, posers want to be like the real deal, but they lack the ability to be that. We wish we could be God, but we lack the ability to be Him.

I use to think the term, oh my God, was a bad thing. In the context people usually say “God” they are referring to something beyond comprehension, an extreme emotion, or thought.

At least people that use God’s name in a phrase have a small idea of what God means. If they have no idea of what God means then the phrase becomes meaningless. “Oh my God,” becomes “Oh my…I don’t know.” “What is God’s name are you saying?” becomes “What is, I don’t know whose name, are you saying?”

To me it’s not that people don’t have a concept of God, but yet they have not been able to define Him properly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home