Tuesday, April 24, 2007

And You Think I Am Crazy

There is kind of a running joke amongst my family members, that I am the weird one. The joke reached its highest when my brothers married their wives. You see dad married my mom when he was 21. My older brother married his wife when he was 21. And as you might have guessed it, my little brother married at 21. This left a lot of room for jokes pertaining to my weirdness.
Teenagers all the time question me about my status. When you tell them that you are single, and have been for years, they look at you like you are the craziest person they have ever seen. I had one kid asks me if I was slow, uhhhhh not to my knowledge, I think I'm pretty smart.
What I think is funny is most people think that someone that has been single as long as I have, is like a starving man searching for a meal. The thing is I am not starving, at least not for what people think I should.

What is the most important thing in your life? Who is the most important in your life? Well as most marriage counselors would say, it should not be you. Nope I'm not number one, if I was I would not be in Charlotte, sorry I love my family and would rather be around them, if it was not for my first and most important person in my life.

Each day is a struggle for me, my desire longs to go home, while God calls me to stay. God did something that is hard for the average person to understand. When I was 17 I accepted His calling on my life. At that point I knew God called me away from my hometown. I did not want to follow through with His plan because it seemed so hard.

I moved to Louisville KY as a first step. Immediately I did not feel as if God was calling me to sink my roots in, in Louisville. I began seeking out a better understanding of where He was taking me, but I did not like His answer. He was calling me even farther from my family, and on top of that separating me from my friends. Echoing in my head were these words that we find in the bible, "not my will but Yours be done."

The first year in Charlotte was the hardest. There were few nights in the beginning that I did not cry myself to bed. I missed my family and now friends. Still I remember thinking, "not my will but Yours be done." Being friendless was nothing new to me, this had happened twice before when friends chose paths I did not want to follow on, but this time I was in it without the support I was use to having.

Shortening the story a bit I found myself at a new church to Charlotte, Mosaic, and started leading a small group. Each week my small group meets is unlike any pervious week, but I would not change it for anything, even moving back home. Time and time again I tell the guys in me group that they are so insightful. Every week they hit me with insight that I had never thought or heard before.

I believe God has allowed me after the many years that it took to get here, ten but who is counting, to have a for-taste of what He is doing. I have no doubt that God has something amazing in store, He does for everyone of His children, I just have to trust Him fully and obey.
But what does all this have to do with being single? Good question, but if you want to know when my lifestyle of singleness will end, I don't know, ask Him. I will admit it, I am tired of being single, but what will its end cost me. I will never let that personal desire of mine override His purpose.

Never having a girl that I was truly interested in ever, makes this even harder for me. I have no idea of how opening myself to a woman, no matter who she is, will affect me. So I am not about to chase after any girl that comes along. Sorry but she will have to go through Him first, and God will have to confirm it.

One thing that cracks me up, is people, they make assumptions about my interests in people they know or, if it is a girl, herself. So far everyone is batting 0 for........I lost track around 50. Give it a break, I will peruse this if God tells me to, but until then I will keep chuckling at your assumptions. Gosh you all crack me up

But would I be crazy if I did not put God first? I think so, what do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home